Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Asiago, Italy

A few Saturday's ago, we drove about an hour north to the town of Asiago. You probably recognize the name as this is where Asiago cheese originates from. (Sidenote: The Asiago cheese bagel from Panera is to.die.for...though I have no clue if it's authentic cheese). It is the cutest little town nestled in the foothills of the Dolomites. It has a very Barvarian feel to it, you can hear cowbells ringing and while it was 80 degrees in Vicenza, it was 55 in Asiago. Hence some of the kids wearing jackets. Also, blogger is being a total pain in my ass and won't upload over 1/2 of my photos so hopefully I'll have an ''Asiago part 2" shortly. 

First thing we did was park, then go into this adorable Panifico aka, bakery. 

 The town ''centro'' is adorable. Asiago played a role in World War I and much of the city was demolished and then rebuilt. This square is such an area.


 We made our way down one road, away from the center and found a park with the tallest trees I think my kids had ever seen. There was a memorial for a few Italian soldiers from the war as well as a small chapel with a crypt inside. As all signs were in Italian, I'm not exactly sure whose remains are there but was a very nice memorial.

We spent quite a bit of time in downtown Asiago, ate lunch at the cutest pizzeria and then made our way to the WWI memorial. We used the GPS on my phone to get there and boy was that thing nuts! It had us drive down a WALKING PATH in the middle of a field on a path much to narrow for our van and we actually had to drive around a bench at one point. It was ridiculous but there was no way to back up once we had turned on; it was a blind corner and wasn't worth the risk. We followed the ''map'' and ended up coming out in pedestrian crosswalk :/
 The views from the walk to the memorial were very pretty (a storm was moving in).
 The memorial itself is massive. While I think you can normally go up to the Arc, the day we were there the stairs were blocked off. But you enter through the doors into a small museum set up then it's just halls and halls of names of soldiers from WWI. They had a map of the different paths that the Austrians' and Italian's took through the Alps and Dolomites during the invasion, it was very neat to see but hard to imagine.

 After the memorial, we went to the Cheese Shop/Factory. I don't know if it's blogger or my internet but I can't seem to upload the other photos right now. More next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment