Thursday, March 31, 2011

Everything's bigger in Texas

Since moving to Texas four months ago, we're learning that Texas is practically it's own country. The people here have state pride like no other! Everywhere you look something is claiming to be Texas' best. They have their own grocery store, the trucks are bigger and it seems like every one of them is "Texas' Best Truck". And the restaurants, oy! They all claim to be the "Best Hamburger/Mexican/BBQ in Texas". So when we were on our way to Sissy's four month check up and took a back road to avoid traffic, we excitedly but apprehensively stopped at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant. 
The parking lot wasn't too full, we didn't have a lot of time and it smelled delicious. They were able to seat us right away and despite being a "Mexican Cafe" they had a lot to offer. it's a crowded little place, the walls are covered with pictures, articles, old ticket stubs, magazine pics, coloring book pages and everything but the kitchen sink. The booths are old Long John Silver ones and the waitresses are loud and friendly. After looking at the menu, I opted for the Chicken Fried Steak. Afterall it's a Texas staple, I love it and I hadn't had it since we moved. I expected it to be a big serving. I didn't quite expect it to be bigger than my daughter is...
Okay so I exaggerated, but just slightly. What you can't see is that the plate is full of french fries underneath the steak. Or the Texas toast that Pooks had already swiped. I ate a good portion of the steak for lunch, took the rest home and ate a bit for dinner and B polished off the rest the following day. So are you wondering the price?

$10.

Yep, everything is bigger in Texas and I'm not complaining about this one!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is one big meal!! And sweetcheeks is looking so big and oh so cute!!
    Charlotte;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.my.word. Your whole family could have eaten that!!!

    ReplyDelete