Friday, December 17, 2010

Without so much as a single tear,

miss Sweetcheeks had her ears pierced today!
We had talked about having it done this weekend; B would go as well but more to wrangle the boys than to hold Sissy. He flat out said that he wanted it done now but he knew he couldn't hold her while it was being done. So, while out running errands this morning I decided to just do it. Why wait until the last weekend before Christmas when the mall would be absolutely insane? Better to do it at 10am when it just opened and not crowded. I brought some crackers along to keep the boys sitting patiently and we headed to the mall.

Why the mall? Well when I was maybe four years old my Papa Barry took me to the mall to get my ears pierced, so it was fitting. Also {and Papa if you're reading this...I hope this is okay} but Papa had sent us some money for our Christmas gift and we decided to use that to pierce her ears. Granted the money wasn't used on the entire family but my Papa paid for my ears to be pierced and now he paid for his Great Granddaughter's ears to be pierced too :) Ideally I would have asked him to take her but because of our move and because I wanted them pierced while she is too little to play with them, the timing just wouldn't work.

So back to today. We walked around until we found the ''boutique''...my first question was if there was a manager working {i really wanted to find someone who was experienced with piercing ears and infants ears as well), luckily the woman working was the manager and completely comfortable, so I filled out all the required paperwork and picked out the earrings that I liked. (We opted for 14k white gold with tiny little "diamonds".) Then I listened to the manager explain how to clean her ears and how often. Things to watch out for and finally it was piercing time! While I held sissy facing out, the lady wiped Sissy's earlobes with alcohol, then took a small purple marker and marked Sissy's ears with dots where the earrings would go. I watched like a hawk as she prepped the gun, removing it from it's sterile bag, loading up the cartridges with the earrings in them and held Sissy tight as she pierced the left ear.

Sissy's reaction?

A delayed little cry, not even a scream or a tear and then she stuck out her tiny little bottom lip and did a few little hiccuping noises. The manager then turned and pierced the other ear. Sissy again let out a tiny cry but as soon as I turned her around to face me and said ''Shh, shh, shh...you're okay Sissy" and gave her a kiss, she did a pouty lip followed by a big ol' smile. Honestly the person most affected by all of this was Pooks who had apparently watched as the lady pierced the second ear.  He was very concerned, and honestly kind of rude, as he barked at her ''What did you just do to my Sissy!?". I leaned over and showed him Sissy's ear...he asked if I knew ''dat lady was gonna give her a shot?", I assured him that I did and that Sissy was okay. He then replied ''Her ears are pwetty-pwetty."

I cleaned both of her ears to show the lady that I was competent understood how to clean them. Obviously the six holes in my own ears didn't demonstate that! We then paid, I put Sissy back in the Ergo carrier and we were good to go. She hasn't seemed the bit fazed at all...just smiley:
We have to keep her posts in (and loose) for two months, then we can switch them out. I can't wait! Now when she hits the magical age of three months, if all her hair falls out like her brothers hair did, everyone will know she is indeed a little girl because she will look so ''pwetty-pwetty".

2 comments:

  1. They look adorable ,as does she . I must agree with pooks, Pweety , Pweety. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was searching for a GF's blog and came across yours. Read your recent post about having your 2 mo old ears pierced. I think you’re were a smart mommy for piercing your dd’s ears early. We did ours at a week old for both girls.

    Admittedly, I know a lot of people have strong feelings when to pierce a child’s ear. “Let them decide” is being replaced by parental decision when mommy intuition knows, “earlier is better” from either personal or friend’s experiences of unpleasant childhood ear piercing.

    Many moms including myself like the look of earrings on babies and little girls for no specific
    reason other than it is so girlie-girl. I love how light plays off a simple gold ball on a bald baby girl or small gold hoop.

    Cerebrally, as mothers of girls of all ages, we know it celebrates their femaleness and femininity. To each their own but I think the earlier the easier. If we have another girl, I will pierce her ears early as well. I asked our pediatrician and she encouraged me to go ahead before she aware of her surrounding or developed a pincer grip to play with her ears. She gave me some suggestions for moms having their daughter’s ears pierced as well as tips for "care of newly pierced ears."

    If anyone wants our ped’s tips, then don’t hesitate to write me an e-mail.

    Amy
    amyswor@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete